Tuesday, September 16, 2008

First Day of School!

Today was my first day of class. We were supposed to start yesterday but because of the Typhoon that hit Taiwan this last weekend the majority of our Taiwanese classmates were stranded in Thailand. We began the day with Families and Poverty which is a great class. I find the text and discussion very interesting, but there is going to be sooo much to read. Be the end of our 9 weeks of class I will have read 2 textbooks and 3 books for reports. It will be a lot of work.

We also had out first Chinese language class. I really enjoy learning the language but it is very difficult. I have already been learning a lot and picking up quickly from the students that are here. I have been able to for the most part order my own drinks and some food, ( I can say that I am vegetarian). Because of this I got put into the "fast" group. It is still a beginner class, but we moved through a lot of vocabulary and practiced a lot. I have to listen so hard to the instructor to understand what she is saying, process it, then figure out my reply, and then try to say it with the right tones. But hopefully by the end of November I will be able to get around the city pretty well.

We were finally able to get into our own rooms on Sunday night. We were sharing rooms because a group from Japan had to stay longer in the hostel (in our rooms) because of the Typhoon. It is nice to have my own space, but living with Hayley was fun! It took me a little while to get used to the open shower, but now I think I have got the hang of it!

Going back a little ways when the Typhoon was here.... It was crazy! The wind was blowing so hard and the rain would come down in huge drops. Even in Oregon I have never been out in so much rain! Jean, a student here who is helping us all get the ropes, took us to dinner the other night. By the time that we walked to the restaurant that was only a block away we were all soaked from the waist down. And some of us were even wet above that. It was incredible how full of water the streets and sidewalks were. But, now the Typhoon is gone and the warm weather is returning. Today has been beautiful outside!

The restaurant that we went to the other night was a lot of fun! It was a BBQ Buffet. You were able to choose whatever you wanted from the buffet line and then took it back to your table and cooked it there. Each table had a grill with hot coals under it! It was so much fun! Not to mention all the beer that you can drink for $3 American! :) I also ate octopus! It was very very chewy!

Tonight we have a group dinner and then a meeting. We will be eating somewhere very nice where you get to create your own soup at your table, it is called a hot pot. I am excited to try it out, Sharon (our lead instructor) said that it was a traditional Chinese restaurant so it will be a very fun place to go to!

<3 Love <3

No comments: