Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Here we go caroling along the Taipei streets....

The holiday season is upon us in the hostel. We are all beginning to watch Christmas movies, listen to Christmas music, and sing it everywhere we go! It makes me happy!

We have been busy this past week (as always!). Last Friday we went to Pingsi which is about 2 hours away. We basically walked around a small market area of the town and then went to a neat restaurant on the hillside. We sat on a covered patio to have dinner which was nice, it rained but it was beautiful (and we didn't get wet). The dinner was all right. I did not eat much, the vegetarians were once again seated at our own table. We got some yummy dessert though - soybean ice cream!! Soymilk really enjoyed the treat! After dinner we all went down in front of the hotel and signed a paper lantern that we sent up into the night sky! It was a very neat experience, it could have been neater if it would have worked the first 4 times we tried to let it up in the sky. But that was all has become one of my favorite things since I have been here, so I right because we distracted ourselves by playing with a little lizard that was crawling all over everyone. It was a beautiful place but it was a very long ride for such a short experience. Everyone was still very tired from the week long trip because we did not have any time off to rest.Saturday we had a field trip to go and visit two centers for preschool children. They were supposedly welfare centers, but the parents had to pay a lot of money for their children to go there, so I was very confused. They were fun though. Carly, Dee, and I had a great time playing in one of the ball pits at the first center (later we were referenced in an unhappy email from our professor as acting like children instead of honored visitors - which was weird because everyone else was playing - but I wouldn't take it back because it was a great time!) The day was hard to get through because we were all even more tired! Plus we had the Taiwanese students to walk around with, and it takes a lot of effort to make conversation with people you don't know all day long. But they were tired too, so it did not seem to be a huge deal (except to our professor - who claimed that we all should have been more attentive and respectful - but she fell asleep during the presentation at the second center when she was sitting in the front row - weird!)

Sunday was the most amazing day! I did not shower, I stayed in my pajamas, I read and I laughed with my friends. Finally a day of rest, all topped of with a taste of home - pizza!

Monday was back to class and being busy! Carly and I have continued to run in the morning before class, I am really happy that I have her as a running partner! She is so consistent so I always know that I will have someone to go with! And we talk a lot and entertain ourselves so we always have a good time! We had our group dinner and Dee was in charge of cooking this time. I played the part of co-chef and learned how to make homemade chicken noodle soup! I loved making the noodles and the dumplings (my favorite part) and it tasted yummy too! (I, of course, did not eat the chicken) We also had a big wonderful fruit salad! I love the fruit here!

Tuesday after class we headed off to a museum called Taiwan story land. It is an interactive model of what Taiwan was like in the 1960s it was very neat to see. Being in the museum was just like walking around the old streets of Taiwan. We were even able to buy food from vendors and had shaved ice in an old style place that reminded me of a burger, fries, and shakes place from the 50s. We had fun. Afterward we went to an area in Eastern Taipei that is known for its market with cheap clothes. The alleyways were so narrow and there were so many mopeds trying to squeeze through them that I could not concentrate on shopping. I got a new dress and a new shirt set and belt all for only $250 (NT, about $8 USD). So it was exciting. But Hayley and I had to stop early because of my claustrophobia. After we finished shopping we all headed to Ximen station for some sushi! I love the sushi restaurant and Ximen! I guess that I always love sushi!Today (Wednesday) I volunteered to be a part of a panel (3 of us from OSU) for a class on campus. It was such a neat experience. The class is called the cross cultural something or other about medicine so I thought that the questions were going to be about differences in medical treatment etc. but they were all about our experiences in Taiwan and what to expect from America and Americans. It was really neat and fun. The students seemed to enjoy it all. After we were done with our small presentation the students had one for us (which we did not know). They were split into 4 groups and each was supposed to bring us something that represented Taiwan to them. We got 2 breakfast and 2 dessert samples! I was really happy because both of the breakfasts had soymilk! The 3 of us (Shauna, Carly, and I) pretended like we had not had the treats before, even though we had. It makes the students and faculty here more excited if they think that we are trying something for the very first time from them! We also got more gifts from the students and faculty in the class. After the food and candy was packed away we were each given an FJU t shirt (sized XL :( ) and a little coin pouch. The students also wrote out Chinese names out in beautiful calligraphy! I love mine! They even fixed it up so that I can hang it up! I have been wanting on very badly. For dinner we went out to hot pots with some more of our Taiwanese friends! It was a lot of fun! I spent the rest of the night reading my textbook and laughing with the girls. It was a good day!Tomorrow I am going to watch Dee get a tattoo! That I got to help design! I feel so artsy! Friday we are throwing a Halloween party, Saturday we have a field trip, then Sunday is Hayley's 21st birthday!! We are going to have a great weekend!

Next week I have my written book report, my oral book report, and my second exam in my poverty class! A lot to do and get ready for with such a big weekend ahead!

No comments: