Thursday, October 2, 2008

National Palace Museum & Shilin Night Market

It was nice on Monday to not have class again because of the typhoon. But I did get t staying inside, so Monday morning I went on a run. It was so interesting. It was not raining but the wind was still very strong, every once in a while as I lifted one of my legs to take the next step forward it would get blown into my other leg and I would almost trip my self. It was the weirdest sensation to be out running in a typhoon. (And no one needs to worry because I only went running because I saw other people were out and about and because I knew the storm was leaving!) Monday evening the storm was pretty much gone and I went a did a little groceryired of shopping, basically Hayley and I just wanted to do something. I got a bag of my favorite snacks that I have had, they are little round rice cakes that are a little bit salty tasting and have a tiny little bit of frosting sprinkled on the top. They are so yummy. We also had our group meeting that night and the Dean of the College of Human Ecology (my college here within Fu Jen) bought all of us pizza for dinner. It was very nice of her, but I are way too much of it. I think that I was just excited. The vegetarian one had pineapple (which I picked off... yuck) mushrooms, peas, and corn! It was interesting but I just really was happy to have some cheese!

Yesterday was a great day! We went to the National Palace Museum! I had never been to such a large museum. They have the largest collection of artifacts from the different Chinese dynasties going back 7000 years! It was so neat to be there! We had a guided tour (which I have always wanted to do!) with a grandpa like guy named Hugo from Belgium. He was funny and entertaining, but he kinda smelled funny. It was a great time. After we toured the museum we went through the gardens there. It was so beautiful. We walked around through sunset and looked at all of the huge coy fish! There was one that was at least 3 feet long! But it was hard to see because it was a black one, it looked like a huge underwater monster! We had a great time!

After the museum a group of us went to the Shilin night market. It was so much fun. We entered it from the other side that I had gone in last time, so I was able to see different stuff. I tried some different foods. I got a papaya salad that was yummy, it was sour and spicy (I guess that it was a Thai appetizer). I also tried fried shrimp and pineapple, with some sauce, but it was very good. And then I finally got to try a dessert that I have been wanting to try! It was shaved ice milk, and I got sweet red bean as a topping. It was so good. It was not as sweet as ice cream, but it was still wonderful. It was fun to go with a group to the night market because we could all try each other's food and not have to have a whole bunch, it was kind of like taste testing! I bought myself another pair of earrings and a vest! It was fun to walk around with Ariel, Annabelle, and Sabrina. They are a great group of girls and I am so lucky to have been able to meet them here in Taiwan!

This morning I have to give a presentation on a book that I read for class and then we are heading out to discover another area of Taipei and grab some dinner!

No comments: